Thursday, August 18, 2005

Religion tomorrow; today, politics

I had two very interesting experiences yesterday, both of which I will now share with you, anonymous readers.

First of all, I was accused of being a George Bush-loving, war-mongering extremist based purely upon my current county of residence. The accuser in question, who calls in-town Atlanta home, informed moi that he would not consider venturing outside the Perimeter (that's I-285, for you non-Georgians) because "there is so much about [the county in question] that is diametrically opposed to my own values."

Apparently, the very act of crossing the county line causes one to apply "W" stickers to one's car, though I have developed no urges to strip my car of its Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker. I've been here about three weeks now, and I don't feel inclined towards privatizing social security nor am I jumping for joy that The Patriot Act is still in place. For the time being, I remain a "latte-drinking, Subaru-driving liberal." But who knows? Perhaps four weeks is the turning point. Ya'll keep an eye on this blog -- if I wake up conservative one morning next week, these entries are apt to change quite a bit.

For the time being, I'm walking the walk. I attended a wonderful peace vigil in honor of Cindy Sheehan last night (in very conservative Marietta, no less), and I was thrilled to be one of maybe 150 folks holding signs that called for an end to this useless war in Iraq, a return of all our troops, and a return to sanity in the way this country is being governed. It's a tall order, but I've always been a believer in asking for the moon in order to get your paws on a few stars. If any of you are interested in speaking out against the war, I recommend you get involved with moveon.org or any of the other great online sources for progressive government.

Who says you can't change the world?

And as for my accuser...where were you last night? Raging against the suburbs in some Midtown bar? Way to stand up for progressive causes! ;)

Coming tomorrow: More religion. I promise!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?